Director, Payments Strategy and Operations
US-WA-Seattle-Starbucks Support Center
Is this role eligible for remote or hybrid work? Yes-Remote
Starbucks – Finance and Accounting
Pay Range $147,800 – $261,000/annually
Bonus Eligible Yes
Now Brewing – director, Payments Strategy and Operations! #tobeapartner
From the beginning, Starbucks set out to be a different kind of company. One that not only celebrated coffee and the rich tradition, but that also brought a feeling of connection. We are known for developing extraordinary leaders who share this passion and are guided by their service to others.
This job contributes to Starbucks success by setting the long-term, strategic vision and ensuring the day-to-day operational excellence of accepting payments from our customers and processing them for our stores in North America (i.e., US and Canada). While the current focus is North America, we expect this role to support non-North America markets and identify opportunities to establish payments as a global capability. In this highly visible, cross-functional, strategic, and operational role, you will be a leader on the Payments, Card, and Fraud (PCF) Team whose vision is to power moments of connection through trusted, effortless transactions
At Starbucks, we strongly believe that payments are a key driver of the customer experience. We believe this so much that our PCF Team is one branch of our end-to-end Digital Retail Experiences Team. You will report to the vp, payments, card, and fraud and work very, very closely with your peers across PCF, Digital Retail Experiences, Loyalty, Starbucks Technology, Retail Operations, 3rd party partners, and more to ensure that every payment-powered connection is secure, seamless, personalized, and optimized for cost.
As a director, Payments Strategy and Operations, you will…
- Be partner-focused and partner-first; you will lead and manage a hybrid, high-performing team of payments professionals at varying stages of their careers and will need a situational leader who leads inclusively, is accessible, a great listener, is high energy, and can roll his/her sleeves up when needed
- Establish and manage internal and external partnerships; you will leverage your existing payments relationships to bring value to the Payments Team, PCF, Digital Retail Experiences and other areas as needed, you will also maintain and build on Starbucks existing 3rd party relationships, you will work closely with internal partners (Loyalty, Marketing, Starbucks Technology, etc.,) to ensure cross-team dependencies are identified, managed, and de-risked, you will connect the dots between all these groups to identify and drive both team-level and enterprise-level partnership and value creation opportunities
- Lead the development of a forward-thinking and innovative global payments/fintech strategy; aligned with the company’s overall business objectives, identify emerging payment/fintech trends, technologies, and industry best practices to sustain Starbucks industry leading position, align and collaborate with internal and external leaders, and partners to bring to market Starbucks-fit opportunities
- Balance forward-thinking innovation with day-to-day operational excellence; you will lead end-to-end payment operations (from authorization to settlement, reconciliation, and reporting), ensuring accuracy, efficiency, and compliance with industry regulations, establish KPIs to measure the effectiveness and efficiency of payment operations, analyze payment data and trends to identify opportunities for customer experience improvements, optimization, revenue enhancement, and cost reduction
- Drive the best financial outcomes during contract negotiations; you will manage numerous contracts and relationships that power payments across Starbucks ecosystem, depending on the contract scope, you will work cross-functionally with key stakeholders such as Legal, Sourcing, Marketing, Loyalty, Starbucks Technology to ensure the best financial, customer, operational, and technical outcomes are achieved while developing models/analyses and presentations to align and communicate the outcomes
- Develop products and experiences that are backed by customer insights, leverage Starbucks and/or 3rd party technology, and are financially sound; you will be the lead product manager for the payments product, experience and platform portfolio, you will lead a group of cross-functional partners and 3rd parties to drive end-to-end customer, industry, and competitive research and ideation, business case development, technical assessments, product development, test and learn, product launches and maintenance – in other words, you will own the end-to-end product/platform lifecycle inclusive of setting and communicating priorities, and developing and maintaining a product/experience/platform roadmap
- Set, monitor and adjust financial budgets and targets; you will leverage past performance and future indicators to set team and business-level budgets; you will work with your PCF peers and other key stakeholders (e.g., Finance, Operations, etc.) to set budgets and targets, you will develop and maintain tools, processes, communication forums, etc. to ensure effective financial control and stewardship
We’d love to hear from people with:
- 4-year Bachelor’s degree
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree (preferred)
- 10+ years of relevant work experience taking on roles of progressive responsibility
- A mix of strategy (consulting), day-to-day payments operations (at a large scale, global retailer, hospitality, or digital company), and product management experience across those 10+ years; experience working in licensed or franchised organizations a plus
- Equivalent experience with vendor management and complex contract negotiations
- Experience with digital & retail technologies, e-commerce, and mobile applications, significant experience working with technology and engineering teams to bring these capabilities to life
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of the global payments/fintech landscape and ecosystem (has built and/or managed global payments platforms and partners), significant and at scale experience working with existing and emerging payments products and technologies such as credit/debit, ACH/pay-by-bank, digital wallets, closed loop/gift cards, fraud, biometrics, alternative/digital currencies, etc.
- Strong payments operations experience at scale including least cost, and other routing optimization strategies to debit/credit networks, in both a card present and card not present environment
- 10+ years of leading in a high growth, highly matrixed, ambiguous environment with a demonstrated ability in leading large scale, cross-functional projects with significant financial and operational impact and involving people from multiple levels
- 10+ years of experience in project planning, management and delivery of new products and experiences, including all elements of scope, time, cost, risk, integration/dependency management, sourcing, legal, and communications
A consumer-centric, technologically savvy professional, responsible for bringing together business, technology and operational priorities, has a deep understanding of data and analytics coupled with the creative mindset to transition raw data into actionable insights and compelling vision, strategy, product development, and execution, ultimately increasing customer lifetime value
From free coffee to competitive pay, Starbucks is proud to offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package to our eligible part-time and full-time partners. Benefits include 100% tuition coverage through our Starbucks College Achievement Plan, health coverage with a variety of plans to choose from, and stock & savings programs like our equity reward program, Bean Stock. What’s more, Starbucks offers flexible scheduling and opportunities for paid time off. Visit starbucksbenefits.com for details.
If you live in the greater Seattle area, we offer a flexible workplace that allows for hybrid work. Partners can work remotely up to two days per week.
The pay range for this position may be narrower than that displayed, depending on where the work is performed.