Chess.com is one of the largest gaming sites in the world and the #1 platform for playing, learning, and enjoying chess.
We are a team of 600+ fully remote people in 60+ countries working hard to serve the global chess community. We are here to support 100M+ chess players worldwide with the best possible product, content, and tools to serve the community!
We are a tech company. A gaming company. A content company. And we do it all with passion and commitment to the game. Above all we prize our mission-driven, flat, life-celebrating, no-corporate culture, and we look forward to meeting you and learning more about what you can bring to the team.
You are passionate about building and managing databases. You are an expert in MySQL and are deep into both hardware and app / schema layer. You are humble with a sense of humor and eager to be a part of a like minded team of people. You have been working in or dreamed of working in the gaming industry and are ready to turn your talents towards chess!
What You’ll Do
- You’ll be proactive in improving our user experience and system health
- You are willing and able to participate in our on-call schedule
- You will help us to reinvent how people experience chess around the world
- You will take part in building a multi regional resilient system capable of handling millions of games each day along with tons of additional services.
- You will have the opportunity to solve interesting challenges like storing chess games, puzzle attempts, and a 100M+ member social network
- You will help us maintain stability and performance as we blend our existing bare-metal datacenter hosted with GCP for microservices and scaling
- Strong understanding of MySQL(Percona), Redis, Linux, hardware, haproxy,
- Experience with data layer technologies (RDBMS/SQL, NOSQL/key-value, Graph, etc)
- Experience with monitoring & visualization (datadog, PMM, etc)
- Detailed understanding of http and related technologies
- Knowledge of configuration management system
- Server-side automation scripting
- Strong knowledge of UNIX based OS fundamentals
- Security knowledge and risk assessment ability
- Strong collaboration and communication skills working in a fully distributed team
- Sense of ownership and responsibility
- Lifelong learner
About the Opportunity
- This is a full-time or contract position
- We are 100% remote (work from anywhere!)
- This is open to applicants in time zones within GMT -3 and GMT -7