Title: Staff Backend Engineer, Visitor Experience
Location: U.S. Remote
At Webflow, our mission is to bring development superpowers to everyone. Webflow is the leading visual development platform for building powerful websites without writing code. By combining modern web development technologies into one platform, Webflow enables people to build websites visually, saving engineering time, while clean code seamlessly generates in the background. From independent designers and creative agencies to Fortune 500 companies, millions worldwide use Webflow to be more nimble, creative, and collaborative. It’s the web, made better.
We’re looking for a Staff Backend Engineer, Visitor Experience to join us in our mission to enable our customers to build performant and scalable websites. In this role you’ll be responsible for integrating Webflow’s product features and services that significantly impact website quality, user experience, and online visibility, including our publishing pipeline and search indexing service. We aim to elevate the quality of sites produced through Webflow for our millions of customers around the world.
About the role
- Location: Remote-first (United States; BC & ON, Canada)
- Our cash compensation amount for this role ranges from $151,000 – $208,000 for most US locations and $168,000 – $231,000 for US locations with a higher cost of labor. All figures cited above are in $USD and pertain to workers located in the United States. Pay is based on several factors including market location, and may vary depending on job related experience, knowledge, qualifications, and skills.
- Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager
As a Staff Backend Engineer, Visitor Experience you’ll…
- Scale and improve our publishing infrastructure to deliver world-class performance to Webflow published sites
- Identify and implement key instrumentation to provide effective visibility into key backend systems
- Optimize web performance by implementing best practices, performance tuning, and continuous monitoring to ensure fast loading times and exceptional user experience
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including product managers, designers, and other engineers to implement and prioritize features
- Ensure all backend services scale and perform at a best in class level
- Improve our planning, development, and deployment processes to help you and your fellow team members
- Tackle complex technical challenges on a collaborative and geographically distributed team
- In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, at Webflow we will support you in identifying where your interests and development opportunities lie and we’ll help you incorporate them into your role
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, at Webflow we will support you in identifying where your interests and development opportunities lie and we’ll help you incorporate them into your role.
You’ll thrive as a Staff Backend Engineer, Visitor Experience if you:
- Have 7-10+ years of experience in scalable, multi-tenant environments.
- Have 5+ years experience leading projects, including mentoring engineers and establishing engineering best practices across the organization.
- Have experience building and scaling high throughput production services.
- Deeply understand the web and how to deliver performant websites.
- Have an innate interest in search engine optimization, page ranking, SEO tools, etc.
- Love thinking through large technical problems and working through that complexity on a collaborative, distributed team.
- Have consistently communicated trade offs throughout a project to meet both technical and business requirements.
- Have worked on complex issues where the analysis requires an in-depth knowledge of the company and existing architecture.
- Can debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Take pride in taking ownership and driving projects to business impact.
- Are familiar with Node.js, Mongo, and React.
- Are familiar with Typescript.
- Bonus points if you have experience with Elasticsearch.
Even if you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Research shows that you may still be considered for a role if you meet just half of the requirements.
Our Core Behaviors:
- Obsess over customer experience. We deeply understand what we’re building and who we’re building for and serving. We define the leading edge of what’s possible in our industry and deliver the future for our customers.
- Move with heartfelt urgency. We have a healthy relationship with impatience, channeling it thoughtfully to show up better and faster for our customers and for each other. Time is the most limited thing we have, and we make the most of every moment.
- Say the hard thing with care. Our best work often comes from intelligent debate, critique, and even difficult conversations. We speak our minds and don’t sugarcoat things and we do so with respect, maturity, and care.
- Make your mark. We seek out new and unique ways to create meaningful impact, and we champion the same from our colleagues. We work as a team to get the job done, and we go out of our way to celebrate and reward those going above and beyond for our customers and our teammates.
Benefits & wellness
- Equity ownership (RSUs) in a growing, privately-owned company
- 100% employer-paid healthcare, vision, and dental insurance coverage for employees and dependents (US; full-time Canadian workers working 30+ hours per week), as well as Health Savings Account/Health Reimbursement Account, dependent on insurance plan selection. Employees also have voluntary insurance options, such as life, disability, hospital protection, accident, and critical illness
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave for both birthing and non-birthing caregivers, as well as an additional 6-8 weeks of pregnancy disability for birthing parents to be used before child bonding leave. Employees also have access to family planning care and reimbursement
- Flexible PTO with an mandatory annual minimum of 10 days paid time off, and sabbatical program
- Access to mental wellness coaching, therapy, and Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly stipends to support health and wellness, as well as smart work, and annual stipends to support professional growth
- Professional career coaching, internal learning & development programs
- 401k plan and financial wellness benefits, like CPA or financial advisor coverage
- Commuter benefits for in-office workers
Temporary employees are not eligible for paid holiday time off, accrued paid time off, paid leaves of absence, or company-sponsored perks.
Be you, with us
At Webflow, equality is a core tenet of our culture. We are committed to building an inclusive global team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, beliefs, and experiences. Employment decisions are made on the basis of job-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Not ready to apply, but want to be part of the Webflow community? Consider following our story on our Webflow Blog, LinkedIn, Twitter, and/or Glassdoor.
To join Webflow, you’ll need valid U.S. or Canadian work authorization depending on the country of employment.
If you are extended an offer, that offer may be contingent upon your successful completion of a background check, which will be conducted in accordance with applicable laws. We may obtain one or more background screening reports about you, solely for employment purposes.
Webflow Applicant Privacy Notice