Title: Senior Staff Engineer
Location: Remote within US
ABOUT THIS ROLE
Engineering within Reforge develops new products, features, and enhancements to our already robust platform.
As a Senior Staff Engineer, you will manage an engineering team, make meaningful contributions to the product & codebase, and work collaboratively with thought leaders in the org to help shape product strategy and ship impactful experiences for our users
Reforge is a new kind of educational company that helps you access the earned insights of the world’s leading practitioners, learn and apply frameworks without leaving your job, and build a strong professional network. Our content, community, experience, and brand combine into a unique product offering that creates unparalleled access to insights that are typically trapped in the heads of top operators.
WHO YOU’LL WORK WITH
- VP, Engineering
- Head of Product
- Head of Design
- Lead PM, Courses
- Lead Designer, Courses
WHAT YOU’LL OWN
- Contribute to the Reforge offering by understanding the mission and contribute feedback/ideas on how to improve Reforge
- Meaningfully contributing to the Reforge product via code, architecture and design (50+% hands-on)
- Manage a small but mighty engineering team
- Work collaboratively with product thought leaders; help shape product strategy and ship impactful experiences for our members
- Provide technical strategy and direction to your teams
- Help engineers develop their long term careers, provide performance feedback, and conduct one-on-ones with your team to make sure they are thriving
- Balance hands-on contribution and program management for products your team ships
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE WE ARE LOOKING FOR
- 10+ years of experience writing & architecting highly scalable code, based upon the maturity of the product offering.
- 1+ year of experience directly managing or mentoring engineers (with performance goals & outcomes)
- Experience building software with a proven track record of making it part of a successful business
- Experience driving incredible product experience in collaboration with product & design, with a strong voice an active seat at the table
- Strong communication skills with engineers and non-technical colleagues, both written and verbal
- Prior experience developing growing technical teams in a startup environment
Nice to Have
- Ruby on Rails / GraphQL / React development background
- Experience managing architecture for large-scale public vs private sites within the same codebase
- Past ownership over cloud technology usage, including cost / ROI tradeoffs and toolstack across engineering
- Engineering-wide impact in addition to key focus areas within the product
- Experience with PMF experimentation and mindset, including rapid iteration and building with customers
Attributes that will make you successful in this role
- Prior experience in at a small company with a strong technical bar (Strong forward-looking architecture, eliminating developer friction, driving business outcomes as opposed to pure shipping)
- Prior experience in a remote organization
The internal mission of Reforge is to create an environment where you create the best work of your career. In order to do that we offer:
- Flexible/Distributed Work Environment – Everyone does their best work in different environments. We operate as a distributed-first team and offer financial support that enables you to create the schedule and environment that fits to you.
- Professional Development – We focus on a culture of learning. We offer full financial reimbursement for almost all professional development interests and efforts.
- Benefits – We offer top rated health, vision, and dental insurance. We cover 100% of monthly premiums for employees, and 70% for dependents.
- Salary + Equity – We offer highly competitive salary and equity inline with top tier technology companies.
- 401k – We offer the opportunity for you to contribute to a 401k directly from your paycheck
- Flexible PTO – Having plentiful off the grid time is a key to doing your best work. We offer flexible PTO. Take time when you need it. Everyone must take at least 10 days per year, and we highly encourage more.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion: We deeply value creating a team with different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences, and we prioritize diversity within our team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.