Title: Senior Ruby on Rails Developer
Location: London (Oval) or remote
Salary: 70,000- 90,000
Our mission is to change the world of education recruitment. Schools spend over 2bn a year on agency staff, with over 600m per year of that spent on fees that go straight to the recruitment agencies. So far, we’ve saved UK schools over 10m in supply teaching recruitment costs, and that number grows every day, meaning the funding can be put back into education within the schools.
Using our online platform, schools have access to hundreds of profiles of fully vetted teachers and support staff, who they can book at a click of a button. Think Uber for teachers.
We are well-funded by high-profile investors and are led by start-up veterans behind two of London’s most prominent tech companies.
Looking to make a difference?
You’ll be joining Zen in a key position. The product delivery team is a crucial part of how Zen will help both transform the supply and recruitment experience for schools and generate the savings the education system needs. This is a great opportunity for someone looking to apply themselves for a great cause and with great responsibility and autonomy to shape our product and development for years to come.
About the role
Who we are looking for
A talented engineer looking to take their skills to the next level by joining a growing, high-performing product delivery team in an agile environment.
What you’ll be doing
– Picking up, owning and deploying new features from scratch, working closely with front-end developers
– Reviewing PRs and helping us improve our ways of working
– Investigating and tackling new challenges and responding to bugs
– Writing high quality, well-tested code
– Experience with Ruby, Ruby on Rails (6yrs+)
– Experience refactoring legacy code and considering trade-offs around technical debt
– A top performer that wants to be part of a high-performing, motivated team
– Growth mindset dedicated to growing your skills as a professional
– Passion for work with a positive social impact
What’s in it for you?
– Work that you want to talk about
– Competitive salary
– Ownership in the company- 25 days of holiday
– Flexible working including working remotely
– Fun-loving, tight-knit team solving a problem that makes a difference- 1-1 coaching
– Life Insurance
– Health Insurance
The team and work
– A growing company of around 260 people and a product delivery team of 26; with 18 engineers, 4 designers, and 4 PMs
– Every improvement you make goes directly to saving schools money, paying teachers more, and ultimately helping children get the best start they can
Diversity and inclusion
We welcome applicants with diverse backgrounds and different experiences and perspectives just like the staff who teach through Zen and the children at the schools we work with. We believe in hiring the best people from the widest pool and creating an inclusive atmosphere with a culture where people’s voices are heard and all our team can look forward to coming to work.
We value and respect all differences in all people (seen and unseen). We believe in an environment with equal access to career development opportunities and actively encourage applications from BAME candidates.