Senior Graphic Arts Designer – Medical Illustration
USA – Waltham, MA
USA-PA-Work from Home
USA-MA-Work from Home
USA-IL-Work from Home
Time Type: Full time
Job Requisition Id: R0034340
Waltham, MA, Chicago, IL or Remote anywhere in the U.S.
The Senior Graphic Arts Designer – Medical Illustration works with our in-house deputy editors, content associates, and the permissions and graphics team to produce original medical illustrations for use in UpToDate. You will work from hand-drawn drafts, or written descriptions, or other material and will create clear, accurate, and straightforward illustrations to help our users visually understand complex medical concepts. You will create medical illustrations primarily for a clinician audience, and a smaller number of illustrations for a patient audience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create original medical illustrations that are scientifically and anatomically accurate.
- Work with deputy editors to understand the needs and requirements of each illustration, create and review drafts and make changes as required.
- Use Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), HTML, CSS, Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, etc.), and other tools to create original illustrations from various media formats.
- Redraw, update, modify existing illustrations as needed.
- Proactively research medical textbooks, medical journals, and other resources to determine specifics for creating medically and physiologically accurate illustrations.
- Use the UpToDate editorial system to manage and reassign tasks.
- Use the UpToDate graphics maintenance system to manage graphics including uploading and downloading of files, file management, tagging, communicating with the editorial department via clear instructions.
- Organize and maintain library of illustrations; allow for easy access to master files in order to efficiently reuse base images (heart, lung, anatomy, etc.).
- Adhere to the UpToDate graphics style guide to style graphics consistently and accurately.
- Adhere to the DE&I Content Guide for choice of preferred terms; review existing illustrations to update based on goals of the Content Guide.
- Additional responsibilities include creation of graphics, photography, scanning, simple animation, and graphic design depending upon need.
- BA/BS in related field preferred, or equivalent experience.
- MA/MS from an accredited medical illustration graduate program preferred.
- Association of Medical Illustrators (AMI) membership or Certified Medical Illustrator (CMI) (desired).
- 5 years’ experience as a medical illustrator with a strong knowledge of anatomy and the medical sciences (preferably in a publishing environment, demonstrated by a portfolio of prior work).
- Excellent drawing and rendering skills, strong Photoshop and Illustrator skills, working experience in 2D, 3D animation and interactive media, comfortable using HTML.
Other Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Professional manner and ability to communicate effectively with our in-house editorial staff and physicians.
- Commitment to quality, ability to work independently and still be team oriented.
- Attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines in a production-oriented environment.
- Demonstrated excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated success in managing multiple requests simultaneously.
This position can work remotely anywhere in the U.S.
Wolters Kluwer (AEX: WKL) is a leading global provider of information, software, and services for professionals. We serve customers in more than 180 countries, operating through four divisions: Health; Tax & Accounting; Governance, Risk & Compliance; and Legal & Regulatory. The Company is committed to helping professionals improve the way they do business and solve complex problems with confidence in an ever-changing world.
The Power of Purpose
Wolters Kluwer reported 2021 annual revenues of €4.8 billion, employs over 19,000 people worldwide and maintains operations in over 40 countries. The company is headquartered in Alphen aan den Rijn, the Netherlands. Wolters Kluwer shares are listed on Euronext Amsterdam (WKL) and are included in the AEX and Euronext 100 indices.