Senior Game Designer – Competitive
at Hypixel Studios
We’re looking for a Senior Game Designer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Senior Game Designer, you will work closely with Design, Art, and Engineering to design, prototype, and implement game modes and features that challenge and reward members of our diverse playerbase. In your role, you will be willing to tackle complex problems whilst being responsible for delivering thoughtful and compelling design solutions and be comfortable seeing these initiatives through to completion.
Who you are:
- A passionate self-starter that works with minimal supervision and is comfortable with both theory and hands-on implementation
- A person versed in game design fundamentals that draws upon industry experience, game knowledge, and an understanding of player motivations to craft compelling gameplay
- A mentor who engenders trust from coworkers, inspires them to excel, while also having the ability to listen and to learn
Some of your role:
- Work across a number of competitive game modes that cater to a broad selection of players and play styles and understand how they will approach, progress through, and master each one
- Focus on quality and a clarity of vision for each game mode, whether team-based, ranked, unranked, seasonal, or arena-based gameplay
- Be aware of how your game design impacts the player experience, including matchmaking; implement game mode features, playtest to gain insights, and iterate, owning the design from conception to post-release
- Champion Creators through the design of foundational systems and tools that expand their capabilities, and space of possibilities, on the Hytale content creation platform
- 5+ years of experience in professional Game Design, having shipped at least one successful online game with a large, multi-disciplinary team
- Deep understanding of competitive multiplayer online games and experience with developing associated systems and content, including matchmaking, combat roles and mechanics, skill-kits and weapons, progression, pacing and metagame systems
- Recognizes the breadth and depth needed, in a focused set of high-level rules, to create a compelling, online multiplayer experience that engages and delights players
- Ability to communicate, delegate, and motivate; to be an internal advocate for the craft of design, the game and the team
- Skilled in creating clear and concise design documents and specifications that can be evaluated and implemented by cross-discipline teams, with your collaboration
- Experience planning for, iterating on, balancing, and releasing new content and features to a live product, across multiple platforms
- Knowledge of Combat Design; an understanding of the strategic and tactical decision-making that is in play and the player-facing implementation that makes it feel approachable, exciting and challenging
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.