Senior Counsel, Litigation
At Coinbase, our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web3 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener – because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. Our growing legal team is building out its litigation practice. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. We are seeking an experienced litigation counsel who can manage strategic litigation and regulatory investigations for Coinbase in the US and internationally across a range of practice areas. This position will report to our Director, Associate General Counsel, Litigation.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Manage fast-paced docket of litigation and regulatory investigations/matters (including financial regulatory enforcement matters) for Coinbase across a range of practice areas
- Develop, execute, and continuously assess Coinbase world-wide litigation strategy and tactics, including providing thought leadership, strategic direction and proactive solutions
- Join team who receives, tracks, investigates, prepares evidentiary presentations, attempts to settle, and, where necessary, litigates litigation and regulatory matters brought against Coinbase.
- Draft and file pleadings and briefs as needed
- Engage and manage outside counsel to effectively and efficiently represent Coinbase
- Work collegially and supportively with other members of legal team
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- At least six years litigation experience across multiple subject areas, including courtroom experience
- Experience managing and successfully resolving strategic litigation
- Experience with regulatory investigations and financial regulatory enforcement actions
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to manage expanding litigation practice, using outside counsel strategically and efficiently
- Excellent judgment, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism
- Team player essential — willing to tackle tasks large or small
- Ability to learn new areas of the law quickly and well
- Organized and detailed oriented
- Basic understanding of the regulatory landscape in the crypto industry
- Bonus: experience working with or in the cryptocurrency space, FinTech space, and financial institutions and markets
- Juris doctor from accredited law school required
- Member of a US state bar in good standing
Pay Transparency Notice: Depending on your work location, the target annual salary for this position can range from $210,375 to $247,500 + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required. For US applicants only, by submitting your application you are agreeing to arbitration of disputes as outlined here.