Senior Backend Engineer (Remote, US)
Remote, United States
Openly is rebuilding insurance from the ground up. We are re-envisioning and enhancing every aspect of the customer experience. Doing this requires a rapidly growing team of exceptional, curious, empathetic people with a wide range of skill sets, spanning technology, data science, product, marketing, sales, service, claims handling, finance, etc.
Now is the perfect time to join the journey. Here’s why
- It’s working. We’re in multiple states and on our way to operating countrywide. We have thousands of agents selling our product and millions of dollars of annual customer premiums.
- We’re well-backed & stable. We closed our $75M Series C fundraise. We are supported by some of the top investors globally, including Google’s Gradient AI-focused fund, Obvious Ventures (Beyond Meat, etc.), and Advance Venture Partners.
- It’s not too late! Despite this traction and stability, we’re still early enough in the journey that there’s time to make a real difference during Openly’s formative period.
If you’d like to understand more about Openly’s mission, consider checking out this video (https://vimeo.com/267654520) from a company pitch we gave several years ago at Techstars.
We’re hiring a Senior Backend Engineer to be a part of one of our core teams building the backend for Openly’s insurance platform. You will play an essential role in designing, building, testing, and maintaining the services and technology that power our insurance offering and customer experiences.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to develop the core systems and create APIs that power our best-in-class user experiences.
- Build out our internal tooling and APIs to make business and engineering processes easier, faster, and safer.
- Implement systemic changes to align existing systems with current architectural goals.
- Integrate with external services to manage payments, documents, and claims.
- Integrate with data providers to source real-time information on hundreds of data points, including property characteristics and risk profiles.
- Provide subject matter expertise, mentorship, and support to individuals on your team.
- Collaborate on architectural discussions with your team.
- Contribute to important architectural and operational decisions like microservices vs. monoliths, deployment techniques, technologies, policies, etc.
- Participate in daily stand-ups, weekly 1:1’s, and biweekly retros.
*If you don’t think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we’re looking for someone excited to join the team.
- At least 4 years of professional/production experience developing backend web-stack applications
- Professional experience leveraging Go in prior roles. *Please note, part of the interview process includes completing a code challenge in Go.
- Sustained track record of creating improvements in business-critical systems around stability, performance, and scalability
- Demonstrated ability to deliver complete systems from start to finish in a reasonable time frame with little or no supervision.
- Strong interpersonal skills, such as an ability to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Backend/Core: Go & Postgresql
- Frontend: Browser-based, VueJS, Webpack, Nuxt &, Tailwind
- Research/Data Science: R, ArcGIS, H2O, & Python
- Infrastructure: Google Cloud, specifically Cloud Run, Cloud Build, and CloudSQL, managed with Terraform. We use GitHub for code hosting and CircleCI for running our CI/CD pipelines.
- Remote work tools: Slack, Zoom, Gather.Town, Donut
Benefits & Perks
- Competitive salary, corporate bonus program, equity position in a start-up company
- Company-sponsored medical, dental, vision insurance plans, short-term and long-term disability, life insurance, 401k with corporate contribution, and FSA plan
- Company-paid 12 weeks parental leave policy
- The company fully embraces the work-from-anywhere in the US mentality, even before COVID restrictions.
- Paid Time Off
- Fun, fast-paced, startup environment
U.S. Citizens, Green Card Holders, and those authorized to work in the U.S. for any employer and currently residing in the US will be considered.
Openly is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person’s race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law. Openly is an E-Verify Employer in the United States. Openly will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities under applicable law.