As the Sales Associate, you will work in tandem with the VP, Director of Marketing and Sales to plan, develop, and execute sales activities for frontlist and backlist titles, conferences, events, special sales, as well as coordinate commission sales force daily activity and sales support for key accounts. Collaborating with authors, sales reps, distributors, and all levels of the organization you will use your talents to support and expand the customer base to reach financial and organizational goals.
- SALES OUTREACH: coordinate sales outreach for growth opportunities; identify new accounts and special markets, and growth potential for existing accounts. Present new titles to key accounts to secure buyins. Develop and collaborate on bookspecific sales campaigns. Identify and coordinate special sales opportunities, promotions, and association relationships.
- EXHIBITS: plan and execute exhibit presence, to include conference expos, author events, coops, and semiannual sales conferences with commissioned sales teams. Identify opportunities and coordinate with authors and sales teams for promotional materials, outreach, book sales, logistics, and order processing.
- DISTRIBUTION: coordinate relationships with commissioned sales teams, distributors, wholesalers (domestic and international) for promotions, sales opportunities, and special orders. Prepare and distribute materials and data, and coordinate stock availability, including international printondemand programs. Liaise with the fulfillment center on order processing and coordinate standing orders. Upload ebook files as needed.
- TITLING/COVER PROCESS: Schedule and facilitate meetings with representatives from editorial, production, marketing, and the executive team. Work as the liaison between Island Press and outside cover designers.
- DATA & REPORTING: update and distribute data to appropriate parties as needed for new titles, backlist title changes, and to initiate promotions. Maintain title status data in publishing database. Prepare and distribute reports on sales activities to internal and external stakeholders. Prepare requests for payment to vendors and commissioned sales teams.
- An understanding of and an appreciation for the ideas of diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Prior experience sufficient to carry out the essential duties and responsibilities of the position, as in a similar or subordinate role
- Demonstrated ability to produce written content to engage and expand diverse audiences.
- Ability to communicate and interact with individuals at various levels of the organization and with external parties (e.g., customers, sales reps)
- Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects with a strong attention to detail and deadlines
- Ability to travel to conferences and events, and the DC headquarters, as needed.
- Proficiency with software applications, such as databases, webbased software, video and messaging communications, and Microsoft Office. Familiarity with Edelweiss, Firebrand Title Management, or other inventory and sales tracking software helpful.
- Familiarity with or interest in publishing, media, or environmental issues.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary range $50k $60k commensurate with experience
- Remote work and flexible scheduling
- Friday Flextime potential
- Annual leave: vacation, sick, and personal
- Subsidized healthcare insurance
- Dental and vision insurance
- Life, shortterm and longterm disability insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for medical and dependent care expenses
- Retirement plan
- Free membership to onsite fitness center at DC headquarters
- Employee discount on Island Press titles