Payroll Specialist (US & Canada)
NOAM (Remote) Finance
Bullhorn is the global leader in software for the staffing industry. After more than 20 years, more than 10,000 companies rely on Bullhorn’s cloud-based platform to power their staffing processes from start to finish. Led by the original co-founder, partnered with venture capital, and powered by seasoned leaders across a global workforce with an eye toward innovation, Bullhorn has had year over year growth, making it the market leader in the recruitment software space while allowing for new opportunities for over 35% of our employees to advance their careers in 2021.
We are a remote-first organization and over 30% of our employees reside outside the United States. Headquartered in Boston, we also have offices in St. Louis, London, Brighton, Rotterdam, Frankfurt and Sydney (just in case you’re in the area to stop by). Whether you’re local or remote, our vision is to ensure every employee has a sense of belonging, a voice that is heard, and a clear path for success. Your incredible experience as an employee will consist of flexible work hours to ensure a positive work-life balance and use Zoom, Slack, and other tools to stay connected.
About the Role
Reporting to our Global Payroll Manager, the Payroll Specialist will be responsible for the day-to-day payroll functions efficiently and in a timely manner to ensure that employees receive on-time and accurate paychecks. As a member of the Global Payroll Team here at Bullhorn, the Payroll Specialist will play a vital role in the complex and special pay situations for Bullhorn employees in the US, Canada, and international payroll.
A typical day will include
- Processing bi-weekly, semi-monthly, monthly, and off-cycle (when necessary) payrolls for US, Canada, and international countries with commissions, bonuses, and deductions
- Process final pays according to state laws
- Process off-cycle payments when necessary
- Process garnishments and wage orders in accordance with regulatory requirements
- Work with the external payroll provider to ensure seamless employee payments, efficient local payroll processing & reporting practices
- Complete funding for US (401k) and Canada (Pensions)
- Maintain and update tax notices from tax agencies
- Coordinate with the HR department to ensure correct employee data
- Collaborate with business partners on special data requests for audits, projects, etc.
- Research and resolve tax issues collaborating with payroll provider
- Assist with special projects as requested from Manager
- Review timesheets, communicate with employees and managers to address issues with timesheets
- Oversees and participates in pre- & post- payroll auditing procedures and troubleshoot abnormalities
- Generate payroll reports and distribute to assigned distribution lists as needed
- Monitor, address, and resolve employee questions and concerns relating to their pay, payroll system via team inbox and communicate those to appropriate team members and escalate to the Global Payroll Manager when needed
- Comply and adhere to multiple payroll policies and procedures
- Ensure back-up documentation is up to date and record retention is in accordance with established company policies and procedures
- Communicate with federal and state agencies to resolve tax discrepancies. Register or close new state accounts when needed
- Conduct specialized research into issues and provide recommendations for payroll processing and outputs
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations on process improvements & implement changes as needed
- Report to Global Payroll Manager regarding daily activities, issues, and other duties
This role is a fit for you if
- You have 5+ years of experience working with full payroll cycle for US, Canada and international
- You have Workday payroll experience
- You have very strong analytical ability, good judgment, and strong procedural focus to make timely and sound decisions
- You have working knowledge of payroll processing, tax principles, wage and hour laws is required
- You have the ability to maintain confidentiality and time-sensitive information
- You are able to work independently in a broad variety of projects
- You are flexible, detail oriented and able to multitask in a fast-paced payroll environment
- You can take initiative, provide assistance when needed, and function as a member of the payroll team
What we offer…
- Benefits eligibility effective DAY ONE including Medical, Dental, Vision, 401(k), 401(k) Match, and more
- Unlimited Vacation
- Mental health benefits (EAP & 98point6)
- Full Access to LinkedIn Learning
- Quarterly paid volunteer days
- Lucrative Employee Referral Program (eligible for prior to your first day)
- Career development opportunities up/across Bullhorn
Bullhorn’s core purpose is to create an incredible customer experience, which starts with first creating an incredible employee experience. Our vision is for every employee to have a sense of belonging, a voice that is heard, and a clear path for success. We are committed to building diverse and inclusive teams, and our culture is shaped by our five core values: Ownership, Energy, Speed & Agility, Service, and Being Human.
We’re looking for real-life humans, each with their own unique set of thoughts, beliefs, cultures, identities, and a background and body that is completely individual. We also love humans who have taken less traditional paths of education and believe that experience and learning come in many forms. Together, all these unique individuals make Bullhorn stronger. If you’re reading this, you’re probably applying for/considering applying for a job with us, and we want you to know that Bullhorn is an equal opportunity employer. For us, that means we always have, and will always, strive to be as inclusive as possible in all aspects of employment and that we do not and will not tolerate discrimination of any kind.