Title: Medical Coding Specialist, Behavioral Health
Location: US National
Headway’s mission is a big one – to build a new mental health care system everyone can access. We’ve built technology that helps people find great therapists with the first software-enabled national network of providers accepting insurance.
1 in 4 people in the US have a treatable mental health condition, but the majority of providers don’t accept insurance, making therapy too expensive for most people. Headway is building a new mental healthcare system that everyone can access by making it easy for therapists to take insurance and scale their practice.
Headway was founded in 2019 since then, we’ve grown into a diverse, national network of over 25,000 mental healthcare providers across all 50 states who run their practice on our software. We’re a Series C company powering 500k+ appointments per month with over $225m in funding from a16z (Andreessen Horowitz), Accel, GV (formerly Google Ventures), Spark Capital, Thrive Capital, and Health Care Service Corporation.
We want your time here to be the most meaningful experience of your career. Join us, and help change mental healthcare for the better.
About The Role
Headway is looking for a Medical Coding Specialist to join our team. This person possesses licensure as a Certified Professional Coder (CPC). The CPC will be responsible for reviewing medical records to determine compliant clinical documentation related to outpatient behavioral health services. The ideal candidate will have experience with medical coding in behavioral health and be knowledgeable about mental health diagnoses, treatments, and the necessary documentation requirements. The CPC will work closely with the billing and administrative team to ensure accurate and timely submission of claims for behavioral health services.
- Review medical records and verify the documentation justifies the diagnostic and procedural codes (ICD-10 CM and CPT codes).
- Verify and abstract all medical data from patient records, including treatment plans, diagnoses, and procedures.
- Ensure compliance with coding guidelines and regulations, including HIPAA and CMS guidelines.
- Monitor and report on coding-related trends and issues, and make recommendations for process improvements.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of coding guidelines and regulations, and attend continuing education courses as required to maintain CPC certification.
- Maintain accurate and complete documentation of coding activities and communicate effectively with team members and other stakeholders.
- Participate in quality improvement initiatives and other projects as assigned.
You’d be a great fit if
- High school diploma or equivalent; associate’s or bachelor’s degree in healthcare administration, business, or related field preferred
- CPC certification from the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) or equivalent certification required
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in medical coding, preferably in an outpatient setting or for professional services
- Required: Behavioral health coding specialty experience
- Knowledge of ICD-10, CPT, and HCPCS coding systems and guidelines
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work independently
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with Google Workspace (Docs, Sheets, Calendar), Zoom and electronic medical record (EMR) systems, or eager to learn
- Proficient in navigating and managing multiple digital tools/platforms simultaneously
- Previous experience in a tech-driven environment is a plus
Compensation and Benefits:
- Salary information is based on a single salary target per role and is differentiated based on geographic location (Group A, B, or C)
- Group A: $105,000
- Group B: $94,500
- Group C: $84,000
- Examples of cities located in each Compensation Grouping:
- Group A = NYC/Tri-State Area, SF/Bay Area, LA Area, Seattle, Boston, Austin, and San Diego
- Group B = Chicago, Miami, Denver, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Nashville, Sacramento, Phoenix, and Portland
- Group C = All remaining cities
- Benefits offered include:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage
- HSA / FSA
- Work-from-Home Stipend
- Therapy Reimbursement
- 13 paid holidays each year as well as a Holiday Break during the week between December 25th and December 31st
- Unlimited PTO
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Training and professional development
Headway employees work remotely across the US, with the option to work from offices in New York City and (coming soon!) San Francisco.