Lead Credit Policy Analyst – Remote, US
Earnest’s mission is to make higher education accessible and affordable for everyone. We empower students with financial support and supercharge their ability to pay down their debt so they can get on the right financial track fast.We build tools that help people feel in control of their financial future, including:
- Private student loans – low rates, people-first service, and flexible payments.
- Student loan refinancing – break free from high interest rates or monthly payments.
- Scholarships – access to thousands of scholars to help students pay less.
The Credit Risk team is a critical function whose primary mission is managing credit risk across Earnest loan products. The team develops strategies to minimize risks and maximize returns from our lending tactics. The team works cross-functionally to guide technical features and procedural implementation of policies related to loan eligibility, decisioning, servicing and collections across all lending products.
As a Lead Credit Risk Analyst, you will report to the Senior Manager, Credit and Risk and will specifically:
- Conduct credit risk analysis on new lending strategies that are aligned with Earnest’s risk tolerance.
- Present actionable proposals to team leadership and senior management for actions that achieve business objectives related to credit and fraud risk and drive efficient organizational change.
- Create and amends all policies and procedures relating to loan origination and servicing for Earnest’s $9B+ loan portfolio.
- Manage the policy amendment process and works in the Earnest decisioning system and with cross-functional stakeholders to implement said policies.
- Establish and uphold credit risk policies and procedures, aligning them with our broader risk management framework.
- Identify and evaluate key factors influencing operational efficiencies, including vendor integration into the loan decisioning process.
- Create credit decisioning workflows and rule sets within Earnest’s decisioning platform.
- Utilize analytics to monitor process performance and provide support for policy changes.
- Identify and address gaps in current operational processes and policies to enable profitable growth.
We’re looking for individuals who share our passion for responsible lending and inclusive teamwork.
- 5+ years of experience in credit risk management within consumer finance, banking, or lending.
- 3+ years of experience with consumer fraud tooling and trends.
- Proficiency with Alloy or other loan decisioning platforms to implement credit strategies.
- Knowledge of regulations, standards, and guidelines governing consumer lending.
- Experience with SQL and preferably Looker for data analysis.
- Familiarity with internal control requirements.
- Ability to leverage data for trend identification, anomaly detection, and recommendations for new initiatives.
Earnies are committed to helping students live their best lives, free from the stress of student debt. If you’re as passionate as we are about our mission, read more below, and let’s build something great together!
What makes an Earnie culture:
- Drivers Drivers are satisfied by making things happen, not coming along for the ride. They feel a strong sense of ownership for their projects and teams and demand high standards from themselves and others.
- Humility Humble team players check their egos and consider the team’s needs above their own. They are self-aware of their strengths and opportunities for improvement.
- Growth Mindset People with a growth mindset approach challenges and failures as learning opportunities. They seek feedback to improve, give feedback to others, and genuinely want to perform well.
Earnest believes in enabling our employees to live their best lives. We offer a variety of perks and competitive benefits that include:
- Health, Dental, & Vision benefits plus savings plans
- Work anywhere in the U.S.
- Mac computers + work from home stipend to set up your home office
- Monthly internet and phone reimbursement
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- 401(k) plan to help you save for retirement plus a company match
- Robust tuition reimbursement program
- $1,000 travel perk on each Earnie-versary to anywhere in the world
- Competitive days of annual PTO
- Annual my day
- Pet insurance!
- Competitive parental leave
- Plenty of Earnest swag, optional in person team gatherings, picnics, celebrations, and plenty of fun virtual events
At Earnest, we are committed to building an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging enables us to move forward with our mission. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage anyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Earnest provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for the position in a manner consistent with the Fair Chance Ordinance.
A little about our pay philosophy: We take pride in ensuring we are compensating our employees fairly and equitably. We are showcasing a range and actual starting pay may be based on several factors including but not limited to, market rate, the qualified pool of candidates, internal compensation, candidate location, and budgetary constraints. This number does not necessarily reflect your total compensation, but is a range for your base salary.