Location Omaha, Nebraska, USA
76960 USD – 83200 USD/Year
The Inpatient Coder II is the coding and reimbursement expert for ICD-10-CM diagnosis coding and ICD-10-PCS procedure coding for complex inpatient acute care discharges. This person possesses a strong foundation in coding conventions, instructions, Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, and Coding Clinics.
- Utilizes technical coding expertise to assign appropriate ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes to complex inpatient visit types.
- Thoroughly reviews the provider notes within the health record and clinical documentation.
- Efficiently review documentation and select or assign ICD-10-CM/PCS codes using autosuggestion or annotation features.
- Review Discharge Planning and nursing documentation to validate and correct when necessary.
- Utilizes knowledge of MS-DRGs, APR-DRGs, and AHRQ Elixhauser risk adjustment to sequence the appropriate ICD-10-CM codes within the top 24 fields to ensure correct reimbursement and NM’s ranking in US News and World Report.
- Collaborate with CDI on discharges regarding the final MS or APR DRG and comorbidity diagnoses.
- Educates CDI on regulatory guidelines, Coding Clinics, and conventions to report appropriate ICD-10-CM diagnoses.
- Interprets health record documentation using knowledge of anatomy, physiology, clinical disease process, pharmacology, and medical terminology to determine the Principal Diagnosis, secondary diagnoses, and procedures.
- Utilizes coding expertise and knowledge to write appeal letters in response to payor DRG downgrade notices.
- Meets established coding productivity and quality standards.
Additional Skills & Qualifications:
- 3+ years of inpatient coding experience in an academic facility or teaching hospitality.
- RHIA, RHIT or CCS credential
- AHIMA membership
- Ability to work from home with hard-wired internet and designated office space
- 100% remote opportunity; all equipment will be provided.
- 8-hour shift between 6 am-6 pm in the candidate’s local time zone.