Employee Communications Manager
at Kin Insurance
Remote; Chicago, IL; St. Petersburg, FL
The world has changed. Why hasn’t insurance?
Kin’s mission is to reimagine home insurance For Every New Normal. While other insurers struggle to handle a fast-changing world, Kin is built for the future and is prepared to meet its challenges head on while helping our customers do the same.
Kin is proud to be one of BuiltIn Chicago’s 2021 and 2022 Best Mid Sized Companies to work for, and Forbes 2021 Best Startup Employers in North America. Simply put, our people are what make us great, and we need forward-thinking, inspired game-changers like you to join us in our mission.
So, what’s the role?
We’re looking for an enthusiastic employee communications professional skilled in leveraging the power of communication to enable individuals, people leaders, and teams to perform at their very best. This role will be a strategic lead focused on advocating for and delivering thoughtful communication strategies, contributing to positive employee engagement with a connected, fun and high-performance culture. In this role, you will report to the Director, Talent Acquisition and closely partner with Kin’s Chief HR Officer and executive leaders.
A day in the life could include:
- Creating and delivering employee-facing communications, from business strategy and milestones to company policies and benefits. You will build awareness and align with the organization’s strategy and goals, ensuring consistent internal messages across the organization.
- Building and sustaining an amazing, positive culture. You will be a key partner in our overall engagement strategy connecting Kinfolk virtually and in person.
- Deeply understanding the business, its people and its needs, and finding ways to support and meaningfully match the right strategies to the right purpose. You will help our team understand their role in Kin’s success.
- Developing and implementing an integrated communications strategy and content to build a strong employee/candidate experience, including but not limited to rollout of our updated Core Values, employee- and candidate-facing content on internal and external channels (intranet, job sites, etc.). Working closely with our Brand and PR teams to ensure alignment of internal and external communications.
- Content! You will be developing content to create action and evoke emotion. You like to write and are great at it, creating a compelling narrative with great purpose and accuracy. This includes synthesizing language and complex information into clear, relevant messages and writing and editing with clarity of purpose, intent for a variety of audiences (job candidates, new hires, employees, leaders).
- Leading company-wide initiatives and meetings – you bring energy, enthusiasm and fresh ideas to engage the team, communicate results in an understandable way, and celebrate accomplishments. And you enjoy being in front of the camera too.
- Working with subject matter experts to create and execute communications. Providing counsel and communications support to senior leaders, managers, and cross-functional partners to promote timely, open communications and incorporate employee considerations into planning of major team/business initiatives, events, and announcements.
- Developing and maintaining communications best practices and guidance to be used and shared across the organization. This includes standards, systems, and templates for content, as well as documenting and maintaining repositories.
I’ve got the skills… but do I have the necessary ones?
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations or equivalent 5-7 years of experience within communications, marketing, media relations.
- Prior experience in an internal communications or human resources role in a technology or growth company preferred.
- Proven track record developing and executing successful internal communications and change management strategies regarding complex business topics. Demonstrated ability to appropriately handle sensitive or confidential information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with thoughtful attention to detail, including deep understanding and implementation of best practices in grammar, messaging, writing and style.
- Experience leading and supporting cross-functional projects with strong relationship-building skills and able to collaborate with partners at varying levels.
- Organized, with detailed project management skills and ability to prioritize tasks and manage deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Positive and flexible attitude with a high degree of integrity, professionalism and the ability to remain composed under pressure. You move quickly and seamlessly juggle multiple projects under varying deadlines.
- Strong proficiency with Google suite and virtual meeting platforms; skilled in hosting, recording, and managing internal video and web-based meetings.
- Demonstrated creative and enthusiastic approach to building a positive employee experience. Prior experience developing employer branding content and collateral.
- You’re curious and are a creative, strategic thinker seeking knowledge and have brought in best practices and creative ways to deliver internal communications, engagement and change management strategies.
Oh, and don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and Life Insurance
- Flexible PTO policy
- Remote work
- Generous equity package
- 401K with company match
- Parental leave
- Continuing education and professional development
- The excitement of joining a high-growth Insurtech company and seeing your work make an impact
In an industry that hasn’t budged in more than 100 years, our technology transforms the user experience, cuts inefficiencies that waste billions of consumer dollars, and customizes coverage homeowners want. We believe insurance was always meant to be a digital product – we’re making that a reality.
Our approach to the industry makes us unique, and the people at Kin help us excel. We’re a team of problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and dreamers who are passionate about creating positive change in the lives of our customers and in our industry. Kin is more than just our name – it’s how we treat each other. That’s one of the many reasons we’ve been recognized as a great place to work by Built In, Forbes, and Fast Company.
Kin is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We don’t just accept difference – we honor it, nurture it, and celebrate it. We don’t discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Kin encourages applications from all backgrounds, communities and industries, and are committed to having a team that is made up of diverse skills, experiences and abilities.