Director of Design
WASHINGTON D.C. OR REMOTE
CommonLit is a nonprofit EdTech organization dedicated to providing high-quality literacy instruction to low-income students and students of color to prepare them for success in college and careers. We operate a free online reading and writing program that is used by millions of teachers and students worldwide each month. We are a quickly growing team of passionate professionals – many of whom are former teachers. Our team is now almost 100 full-time employees spread across ~20 states.
About the Opportunity:
CommonLit launched its free digital literacy program in 2016, and the program began to spread virally. By 2020, over 20 million students in over 90,000 schools were registered for the program. Throughout this period, CommonLit was funded almost exclusively via philanthropy and grants. Since then, the organization has also developed a host of paid products and services for schools and districts interested in implementing CommonLit’s full instructional program. To date, CommonLit has paid partnerships with thousands of schools across the United States. This product-market fit has allowed CommonLit to expand its programmatic offerings and quickly expand its team to nearly 100 employees.
As the company continues to expand, we are looking for a Director of Design who is excited to build out our design team and make a significant impact on our fast-growing organization. This role is for someone who can lead and roll up their sleeves to get things done. You will be responsible for revamping our design systems and user experience to create a cohesive and delightful user experience across all our products.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build and manage a team of talented UX/UI designers to execute design projects and create exceptional user experiences.
- Revamp our design systems to ensure consistency across all products and platforms.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including Product, Engineering, and Marketing, to understand business requirements and user needs, and translate them into effective and engaging design solutions.
- Lead the design process, from ideation to execution, including conceptualizing, prototyping, and designing new features and products.
- Roll up your sleeves and contribute as an individual contributor to design projects when needed.
- Continuously improve our design processes and workflows to increase efficiency and quality.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends and best practices in UX/UI design and share your knowledge with the team and the wider organization.
- Champion design within the organization and build relationships with key stakeholders to ensure design is included in business planning and decision-making processes.
- Manage and prioritize design projects, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality designs.
- Coach and mentor designers, providing feedback and support to help them grow and develop in their roles.
- Build a culture of collaboration, creativity, and innovation within the design team and the organization.
- 5+ years of experience in UX/UI design, with a proven track record of designing successful products and experiences.
- Experience leading and managing design teams, with a passion for building and developing talent.
- Strong portfolio showcasing your design skills and problem-solving abilities, with experience designing for web and mobile.
- Expertise in UX/UI design tools such as Sketch, Figma, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively across functions and levels.
- A passion for delivering exceptional user experiences and an obsession with detail.
- Experience with design systems and creating and maintaining design guidelines and principles.
- Experience with project management tools and methodologies.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
CommonLit also provides the following benefits:
- Salary is $130,000 to $160,000 commensurate with experience.
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401k and retirement services
- Free telehealth services
- Pre-tax commuter benefits (for employees based in the metropolitan D.C. area)
- Small Necessities Leave
- Full-time employees have 15 company holidays, 20 personal and paid sick days, and paid family leave