Director, Human Resources
Director, Human Resources
Vision for this position:
IM seeks to ensure that students, particularly historically underserved students, and their teachers have access to aligned, grade-level, mathematics curriculum resources, and that teachers experience professional learning that leads to enduring mathematical learning for their students. The Director, Human Resources is responsible for Human Resources operations, including employee relations, policy development and maintenance, performance management and onboarding, benefits and compensation administration, and organizational resource allocation. This person will also manage 1-2 individuals on the Human Resources team.
The ideal candidate is a systems thinker who engages key stakeholders to develop and implement equitable policies and practices for all employees. We’re looking for someone who is adaptable and resourceful in finding creative solutions for organizational challenges, open-minded, flexible, and has the courage to try new approaches. Ideal candidates are empathetic, able to see the value in all people, and can both coach employees toward success and hold employees accountable to IM’s standards of behavior and performance. IM’s HR + Talent team is at an early stage of development, so candidates must enjoy building systems and practices to support HR in an entrepreneurial environment.
The Human Resources team is a part of IM’s Department of Human Resources + Talent Management, which provides service in support of IM’s vision by promoting the concept that our employees are our most valuable resource and will be treated as such. The HR + TM department will act as a catalyst to enable all IM team members to contribute at optimum levels toward the success of the business and IM’s mission, while championing individual employee well-being.
Position Type: Full-Time
Job Family: Director
Travel: <10 percent
Employee Relations + Engagement
- Supervise the HR manager and support the overall growth and development of the Human Resources + Talent Management team.
- Monitor and ensure the organization complies with federal, state, and local laws and regulations and recommended best practices; review and modify policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Participate in exit interviews including compiling and summarizing findings and discussing trends and concerns with senior management.
- Resolve disputes and communicate with staff members in cases that members of the HR team cannot routinely handle.
- Be responsible for the maintenance and processing of personnel records and reports to assist with compliance requirements and survey preparation.
- Complete the review of all personnel files requests.
- Respond and serve as the point of contact for all unemployment cases.
- Ensure tracking compliance and maintain reporting for required licensure and certifications.
- Conduct periodic audits of HR practices and procedures to ensure they are equitable and accessible to all employees.
- Build positive relationships with employees across the organization at all levels; keep a pulse on employee morale and evolving workplace needs; use the information gathered to inform the strategic direction of HR initiatives.
- Lead the performance review process, which includes managing the project, preparing communications, coaching managers and leaders, responding to questions from employees and managers, and tracking completion rates.
- Oversee and continue to develop IM’s performance management process, including IM check-ins, to provide regular, productive and supportive touchpoints between managers and employees, with special attention devoted to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Provide coaching, counseling, and training to managers on giving and documenting feedback within the parameters of IM’s diversity, equity, and inclusion commitments.
- Provide leadership to and direct supervision of HR team members through effective coaching and performance management.
Learning + Development
- In collaboration with the VP, HR + TM and Knowledge Manager, support the planning and delivery of high-quality training to support employee development.
- In partnership with the Talent Manager, strengthen processes for provisioning, onboarding, offboarding and internal status changes.
Compensation + Benefits Administration
- Communicate and administer compensation, benefits, retirement, and other work experience programs that are cost-effective and consistent with labor market trends and organizational objectives.
- Ensure compliance with all governmental regulations related to compensation and benefits programs.
- Oversee the review, communication, and implementation of the annual benefit programs open enrollment process and the annual total compensation review.
- Conduct marketplace research to evaluate and recommend changes to individual and company compensation and benefits programs to ensure IM is equitable internally and competitive externally.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
- 7-10 years of human resource management experience, ideally in a dynamic, high-growth environment.
- Broad experience leading organizational implementation related to human resources, employee relations, compliance, benefits, compensation, performance management and employee learning and development.
- Strong organizational and communication abilities.
- Strong project management skills; ability to lead projects, track status, collaborate, obtain buy-in, and drive for results.
- Strategic thinker with creative problem-solving skills.
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills and the ability to articulate ideas clearly in both oral and written communication.
- Enjoys building systems and practices to support HR practices in a start-up HR department.
- High emotional IQ, works successfully on teams in a collaborative and constructive manner.
- Understanding and awareness of diversity and inclusion issues and best practice; dedicated to the continual improvement of diversity, equity and inclusion policies and practices.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize ever-changing needs and schedules.
- Experience with project management software, GSuite, Adobe, Slack, and DocuSign.
- Demonstrated commitment to seeking and listening to feedback that encourages growth, surfaces blindspots, and recognizes and disrupts patterns of inequity.
- HR-related certifications or equivalent experience preferred.
- Previous experience in the education or non-profit space is a plus.
- Experience managing others is preferred.
Compensation & Benefits
In alignment with our commitment to equity in practice and policy, Illustrative Mathematics is committed to equity and transparency for our team. We offer competitive salaries commensurate with experience and education, an employer-sponsored 403b plan annual contribution equal to 4% of regular earnings, and a comprehensive group health benefits package, including medical, dental and vision. This position is exempt. The compensation range for this position is $120,000 – $140,000.
Please complete all areas that are indicated as required (*) on the application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Illustrative Mathematics is an independent 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and does not discriminate against any applicant, candidate, or staff member on the basis of actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired for employee roles will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.