Title: Dedicated Instructional Designer
At Instructure, we believe in the power of people to grow and succeed throughout their lives. Our goal is to amplify that power by creating intuitive products that simplify learning and personal development, facilitate meaningful relationships, and inspire people to go further in their education and careers. We do this by giving smart, creative, passionate people opportunities to create awesomeness. And that’s where you come in!
Instructure is seeking an innovative instructional designer to create amazing learning experiences in a fast-paced, get-stuff-done environment as part of a collaborative and fully-remote team.
What you’ll be doing as an Instructional Designer:
- Create an unparalleled customer experience as you consult and collaborate with institution-based leadership teams to design and build world-class online learning experiences
- Design, create, revise and structure content, activities, and assessments to align with learning objectives
- Utilize graphic design software (Google Draw, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.) to design original visual assets for course development
- Deploy HTML offerings within the limitations of the Rich Content Editor in Canvas
- Work with instructors, SMEs (subject matter experts), and/or curriculum writers to provide an engaging experience for all types of Canvas courses (brick and mortar, fully online, hybrid, self-paced, blended learning, etc.)
- Incorporate best practices for innovative and engaging learningIterate on existing content to increase impacts
- Build and maintain professional relationships with instructors, SMEs, and stakeholders
- Communicate with stakeholders regarding course design elements, goals, deadlines, and objectives
- Manage projects, initiatives, and course development to align with institutions’ goals and deadlines
What you should bring to the team as an Instructional Designer:
- Demonstrated exceptional Canvas LMS instructional design experience is a must!
- A strong portfolio demonstrating mad skills in designing and building eLearning experiences, incorporating graphic design assets, within Canvas for web and mobile platforms
- Broad background in creating engaging digital content while applying instructional design best practices and incorporating learning/edtech theories
- Understanding of key design concepts such as ADDIE (Analyzing, Designing, Developing, Implementing, and Evaluating), Universal Design for Learning (UDL), best practices for accessibility, and copyright
- Specialized skill set in advanced graphic design software (Google Draw, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.)
- Deep understanding of Badging Services (design badging and implementation) is a plus
- Experience with basic HTML, instructional design software, authoring tools, and LTIs
- Strong written and verbal communication as well as active listening skills to promote effective meetings with clients, designers, and the Instructure team
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple assignments while meeting project deadlines
- Ability to present resources and facilitate conversation in a professional and polished manner
- Bachelor’s degree in instructional design, adult learning, education technology, curriculum & instruction, or other design-related fields
- Master’s degree or Doctorate degree in design-related fields is a plus
- Required: Resume, Cover Letter, & Work Sample Screencast
- Resume – Submit your resume clearly detailing your Canvas experience, expertise in developing learning experiences, and graphic design knowledge/skills.
- Cover Letter – Include a personalized cover letter detailing how your experience and skills make you the best candidate for this role and share why you’d like to work for Instructure as an Instructional Designer.
- Work Sample Screencast – Additionally, create and submit a 4-5 minute screencast where you share your computer display and demonstrate your instructional design work in a Canvas course. The screencast should include a tour of a Canvas course, showing the home page, module structures, and a smattering of content. The homepage should showcase original graphic design elements you have created to complement the course content (e.g. banner(s), buttons, and/or other visual elements). If the course you show was collaborative, identify your role and contribution. Your screencast can be work you created previously for a client, school assignment, or a new creation. If you need access to Canvas, use the Canvas Free for Teacher account. Once your screencast is complete, please include the link to your screencast and Canvas course as part of your application process.
- The selection committee will use principles from the Course Evaluation Checklist v2.0 during the review process.
Get in on all the awesome of Instructure:
- Competitive salary, equity and 401k.
- Medical, dental, disability, and life insurance.
- HSA program, vision, voluntary life, and AD&D.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Paid time off, 11 paid holidays, and flexible work schedules.
- Gym club reimbursements and rewards-based fitness tracking.
We’ve always believed in hiring the most awesome people and treating them right. We know that the more diverse we are, the more diverse our ideas will be and when we openly welcome those ideas, our environment is better and our business is stronger.
At Instructure we participate in E-Verify and yes, in case you didn’t catch it from the above, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All Instructure employees are required to successfully pass a background check upon being hired