Title: Community Events Coordinator
Location: US National
The mission of the Python Software Foundation is to promote, protect, and advance the Python programming language, and to support and facilitate the growth of a diverse and international community of Python programmers. We also run the PyCon US conference annually, support other Python conferences/workshops around the world, and fund Python related development with our grants program.
We are currently a small organization and we are looking for great employees who can become an integral part of our team. While the PSF has busy parts of the year, we offer PTO, summer half-day Fridays, and holidays. Rest and renewal makes us all our best selves both at home and at work.
The PSF seeks a full-time employee to work on PyCon US, the largest annual gathering of the Python community. PyCon US is a vibrant, community-focused and -driven event that brings together a global group of Python enthusiasts in a warm, welcoming environment to learn, network, and connect. We’re looking for someone to join us to keep the gears running smoothly on this beloved annual undertaking. The Community Events Coordinator will work with the Program Director to organize PyCon US with the support of other PSF staff and a dedicated network of volunteers. This position will also support smaller community events and meetings throughout the year.
This is a great opportunity for someone detail-oriented who loves organizing events to support strong communities and working hands-on with a wide range of responsibilities.
- Work closely with the Program Director to assist in planning and support for our annual flagship professional event, PyCon US
- Manage onsite logistics, including communication with onsite vendors and expo floor design and managing signage
- Assist in vendor relationship management, including soliciting quotes, negotiating prices and services and communicating about ongoing needs
- Work with AV team, food and beverage staff, and hotel contacts to ensure a great conference experience
- Assist with communications such as social media by scheduling via Sprout Social, helping monitor Twitter accounts, and keeping the PyCon US website up to date, drafting blog posts and Newsletters via Blogger and Mailchimp
- Support attendee-facing digital & onsite systems including registration, website, event app, etc.
- Support an excellent and friendly experience for attendees, speakers and volunteersanswering questions, logistical support, code of conduct administration, etc.
- Support sponsor needs and benefit fulfillment both onsite and in advance, including correspondence, benefit tracking/management, and social media, and work closely with the Director of Resource Development
- Year-round administrative support for smaller internal meetings and developer sprints plus managing our sponsorship of other community events, and other support (scheduling/data entry/procurement/other administrative tasks), as needed for a small organization
- Work onsite once a year ~2 weeks on location plus possible location scouting or vendor visits 4-6 times per year
- Strong project management ability
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Attention to detail is a must
- Strong computer proficiency skills and ability to learn new programs
- Comfortable collaborating as part of a remote team (Slack, Google docs/sheets)
- Ability to work independently and prioritize responsibilities
- Willing to jump in to help team members when needed and ask for help when you need it
- Comfortable working on an event-planning deadline and ability to maintain a professional manner under pressure
- Comfortable interacting with diverse contributors in many different countries, with widely varying backgrounds
- 2 to 4 years of experience with managing community events of comparable scale/structure
- Experience with vendor management and conference organizing strongly preferred
- Experience working with volunteers at a mission-driven organization
- Experience with project management tools, like Asana and Trello
- Familiarity with the global open source community
We are seeking a full-time employee who will focus on supporting our annual flagship event and the year-round community of volunteers, vendors, and other stakeholders that make up the Python community. The ability and willingness to travel annually to PyCon US is required for this position (the upcoming PyCon US 2024 will take place May 15-23 2024 in Pittsburgh, PA). The PSF is a fully remote and distributed team and welcomes applications from any location in the US (we cannot sponsor visas or accept applications from outside the US for this role). This position will report to the Program Director.
Salary range: $65,000-80,000K (depending on experience). Benefits package includes potential annual bonus, retirement plan including employer 401K contributions, health insurance/ dental/vision insurance (premiums largely subsidized by the PSF), FSA, and generous holiday/PTO plan including summer Fridays.