Assistant General Counsel, Real Estate
Remote – USA
job requisition id
You’re an original. So are we.
We’re a company of people who like to forge our own path. We invented the blue jean in 1873, and we reinvented khaki pants in 1986. We pioneered labor and environmental guidelines in manufacturing. And we work to build sustainability into everything we do. Our brands stand for freedom and self-expression around the world.
Where we lead, others follow. For more than 160 years, we’ve used the strength of our brands to lead with our values and make an outsized impact on the world. We employ more than 15,000 people globally to support our great brands: Levi’s, Dockers, Denizen, Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. and Beyond Yoga.
We are looking for an Assistant General Counsel, Real Estate to manage the real estate transactions of the company and its internal clients in the U.S. and Canada. This position will report to an Associate General Counsel and partner closely with the Vice President of Real Estate.
This position is remote or a hybrid role based out of our San Francisco headquarters.
About the Job:
- Provide strategic, creative and effective legal and business advice to support the Company’s overall real estate plans and priorities
- Manage legal support for all new retail store leases, renewals, amendments, lease actions and real estate related activity for existing fleet of over 250 retail stores, offices, and showrooms, as well as future store expansion plans
- Manage legal support for construction and related services agreements for distribution centers, retail stores, and facilities
- Oversee outside leasing counsel and serve as liaison to internal clients
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders in finance, construction, design, insurance and operations and manage inter-department input into legal documents
- Develop, establish, and administer lease term standards
- Work as a collaborative member of the Legal Team in support of the U.S./Canada retail lease portfolio, addressing issues and assisting in the management and resolution of disputes with landlords, contractors and attendant third parties including managing outside counsel in litigation and threatened litigation matters
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to execute real estate strategy, provide guidance on leasing and answer questions on lease interpretation
- Help develop and implement new processes, policies and training as needed, based on legal requirements, industry standards and best practices
- Develop, maintain and improve company real estate agreement standards and template provisions and forms
- JD and membership in a state bar
- A minimum of 7 years of experience as retail real estate leasing counsel in a fast-paced environment, with the ability to handle responsibilities with minimum supervision. Both external law firm and in-house experience at a retailer strongly preferred
- Subject matter expert in retail real estate leases and related agreements, including having an intimate understanding of retail real estate deal terms such as co-tenancy, percentage rent and omni-channel gross sales definitions, gross sale termination rights, and radius restrictions
- Preferred experience in regional mall, lifestyle center and outlet center leases, as well as office leases and construction agreements
- Ability to handle and manage a variety of internal client demands and significant number of leasing deals simultaneously, and coordinate with internal stakeholder teams to meet store buildout timeframes
- Strong time management, project management and prioritization skills, with the ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects / matters to closure
- Strategic thinking with an ability to leverage business sense, creative problem-solving skills and sense of prioritization when resolving issues
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills
We put a lot of thought into our programs to provide you with a benefits package that matters. Whether it is for medical care, taking time off, improving your health or planning for retirement, we’ve got you covered. Here’s a small snapshot:
- 401K match: $1.25 for every $1.00 you contribute up to the first 6% of pay you save.
- Five hours of paid volunteer time per month with nonprofit organizations
- Product discount of 60% off regular-price merchandise
- Paid Family Leave
The expected starting salary range for this role is $138,000 – $213,500. We may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range based on the location of the role. The amount a particular employee will earn within the salary range will be based on several factors including, but not limited to, relevant education, qualifications, experience, skills, performance and business needs.
Levi Strauss & Co. (LS&Co.) offers a total rewards package that includes competitive pay, incentive plans, and a wide array of benefits designed to help you and your family stay healthy, meet your financial goals, and balance the demands of your work and personal life. Available benefits vary depending upon the specifics of the role; details relating to a specific role will be made available upon request.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, benefits or other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company’s sole discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole discretion, consistent with the law.
FULL TIME/PART TIME